Eleventh Annual James River Writers Conference
Saturday, October 19–Sunday, October 20, 2013
Pre-Conference Master Classes on Friday, October 18
Join us in Richmond for the 2013 James River Writers Conference to pitch your project, improve your craft, and meet fellow writers. Speakers include award-winning book designer and author Chip Kidd, National Book Award-winner Kathryn Erskine, best-selling and award-winning author Christopher McDougall, award-winning authors Cece Bell, Lydia Netzer, Megan Mayhew Bergman, and Philippa Ballantine, Book Doctors Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry, founders of Pitchapalooza, and agents April Eberhardt, Deborah Grosvenor, Victoria Skurnick, and Paige Wheeler.
Since 2003, the James River Writers Conference has been our organization’s signature event, and our most meaningful contribution to the literary community in central Virginia. Well-respected within the publishing industry, we have attracted prize-winning authors and highly regarded editors and agents from around the country to share their wisdom about writing and publishing. More than 300 people attend this two-day event, known for its inspiring, collegial atmosphere.
What are other people saying? Check out these conference testimonials.
Noteworthy Conference Offerings
- Pre-Conference Master Classes on Friday, October 18, at the Virginia State Capitol
- General Sessions on Saturday, October 19, at the Greater Richmond Convention Center
- General Sessions on Sunday, October 20, at the Greater Richmond Convention Center
- One-on-One Sessions with distinguished literary agents, the Book Doctor, and an app developer –These sessions are now full. If we were able to accommodate your request for a one-on-one meeting, we have emailed you the details. If you requested a meeting but have not received an email, you have been placed on the waitlist. You may check on the status of the waitlist at registration after 9:00 a.m.
- First Pages Critique for feedback on the first page of your manuscript
- Pitchapalooza to present your elevator pitch to our panel of book marketing experts
- Library of Virginia Literary Awards Luncheon
- Pre-Conference Master Classes: $40 each
Early Registration (through August 31, 2013): $200
- Regular Registration (beginning September 1, 2013): $240
- One-Day-Only Registration (Saturday or Sunday): $170
- A discounted rate is available for full-time students with proof of eligibility. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Two-day registration includes the following:
- Saturday and Sunday admission
- Plated meal at Library of Virginia Literary Luncheon
- Sandwich buffet on Sunday
- Light breakfast, coffee, and tea on Saturday and Sunday
- One-on-one pitch sessions with literary agents
- First-pages critique
When you register, please tell us any dietary restrictions or other special needs of which we should be aware.
JRW Member Priority
Through August 16, 2013, JRW members receive priority registration for pre-conference master classes and the one-on-one meetings with literary agents; the Book Doctor, David Henry Sterry; and app developer Michael Portis. Not a member? Simply join when you register for the conference.
Conference Sponsorship Information
We’d like to thank our sponsors for making the 2013 James River Writers Conference possible. We truly appreciate your support.
Written requests for refunds must be postmarked or emailed no later than October 1, 2013. A $25 cancellation fee will be assessed. No refunds will be provided after October 1.
Have a question about the James River Writers Conference? E-mail email@example.com or give us a call at (804) 433-3790.
- 2012 James River Writers Conference Program
- 2011 James River Writers Conference Program
- 2011 James River Writers Conference Slideshow
- James River Writers Conference News and Views