James River Writers celebrates reading and has compiled this list of Richmond-area book clubs open to all who enjoy reading and discussing great books. If you know of a book club not on this list, please email the location and phone number (with “book club” in the subject line) to Cathy Allen.
Since the information is subject to change, please call individual venues or visit their websites for programming updates. This list was last updated in June 2011.
Chesterfield County Public Library
- Bon Air Branch — Book Talks, 9103 Rattlesnake Road, 804-320-2461
- Central Branch — Brown Bag Page Turners, 9501 Lori Road, 804-748-1603
- Chester Branch — Choices Book Discussion Group, 11800 Centre Street, 804-748-6314
- Clover Hill Branch — On the Same Page and Clover Hill Critics book groups, 6701 Deer Run Drive, 804-318-8668
- LaPrade Branch — BookThink, 9000 Hull St. Road, 804-276-7755
- Meadowdale Branch — Book Discussion Group, 4301 Meadowdale Boulevard, 804-318-8778
- Midlothian Branch — Book Discussion Group, 521 Coalfield Road, 804-768-7907
Colonial Heights Public Library
- Colonial Heights Book Club — 1000 Yacht Basin Drive, 804-520-9384
Pamunkey Regional Library
- Ashland Branch — Morning, Afternoon and Evening Book Clubs, 201 S. Railroad Avenue, 804-798-4072
- Atlee Branch — Afternoon Book Group, 9161 Atlee Road, 804-559-0654
- Goochland Branch — Book and Mystery Book Groups, 3075 River Road West, 804-556-4774
- King and Queen Branch — Book Club, 450 Newtown Road, 804-769-1623
- Mechanicsville Branch — Book Club, 7461 Sherwood Crossing Place, 804-746-9615
- Montpelier Branch — Mystery Book Group, 17205 Sycamore Tavern Lane, 804-883-7116
- Rockville Branch — Book Club, 16600 Pouncey Tract Road, 804-749-3146
Richmond Public Library
- West End Branch — Book Discussion Group, 5420 Patterson Avenue, 804-646-1877
Barnes & Noble Short Pump hosts an American Girls Book Club. Call 804-360-0103 for more details.
Chop Suey Books and River City Reads (RCR) sponsor a bi-monthly book club, featuring online forums and live events throughout the city. Learn more by contacting Ward Tefft of Chop Suey by email or at 804-422-8066, or RCR by email.
Creatures ‘n Crooks Bookshoppe, an online bookseller, is affiliated with two mystery dinner and discussion book clubs: “Morgan’s Guild” and “Mystery Lovers.” Both meet monthly at various restaurants. New members welcome. Contact Lelia Taylor by email or at 804-272-2735.
Fountain Bookstore hosts several book clubs. Current offerings are “Tuesdays with Tolstoy” and “Ron Hogan’s Civil War Book Club.” For further details contact Kelly Justice by email or at 804-788-1594.